Salisbury Who's Who
Distinguished and Famous people from Salisbury
Salisbury, located in South Australia, has been home to several distinguished individuals who have made significant contributions to their respective fields. Here are some famous and influential people associated with Salisbury:
- Richard Divall: Born in Salisbury in 1945, Richard Divall was an Australian conductor, musicologist, composer, and educator. He served as the musical director of both the Australian Ballet (1972-1977) and the Victorian State Opera (1972-1996). Divall was widely regarded as one of Australia's leading conductors and promoters of opera.
- John Maxwell Coombs: Born in Salisbury in 1906, Sir John Maxwell Coombs was an Australian public servant, economist, and central banker. He played a pivotal role in the establishment of the Reserve Bank of Australia and served as its first Governor (1960-1968). Coombs made significant contributions to the development of Australia's economic policies.
- David Hicks: Born in Salisbury in 1975, David Hicks gained international attention due to his involvement with the Taliban in Afghanistan. He was captured in 2001 and detained at Guantanamo Bay detention camp until 2007. The circumstances surrounding his case raised significant legal and political debates both in Australia and globally.
- Lindy Chamberlain: Although not born in Salisbury, Lindy Chamberlain gained worldwide attention due to the tragic events involving her daughter Azaria in 1980. Lindy and her husband were wrongfully convicted of their daughter's murder, with the infamous phrase "the dingo took my baby" becoming widely known. The case later took a dramatic turn, resulting in their convictions being overturned, but the incident had a lasting impact on Australia's legal system.
- Ben Rigby: Born in Salisbury, Ben Rigby is an Australian actor known for his role as Donny in the critically acclaimed movie "Lion" (2016). Rigby also appeared in other films such as "Hacksaw Ridge" (2016) and "20th Century Women" (2016). He has garnered recognition for his talent in the international film industry.
These are just a few notable individuals associated with Salisbury, South Australia. The city has been home to many more distinguished and successful people across various fields, contributing to its rich cultural heritage.